Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kamarikutan Kape at Galeri (Coffee and Gallery) [Puerto Princesa, Palawan]


One of the restaurants we were able to visit when we were on a vacation in Puerto Princesa is Kamarikutan Kape at Galeri. But I would say going there at night was not a good idea, not if you want a creepy horror  film scenario (just kidding). We went there for an after dinner coffee. So we arrived there at about 9pm by a tricycle ride. When we went out I was surprised and was searching for a coffee house, but all we found was a wooden signboard that says "Kamarikutan Kape at Galeri" and a long dark (I mean totally dark) path with tall trees at the sides. We were fooling around and saying it looks like an abandoned place in a horror film, even so we proceed in walking inside, hoping that soon we could see lights and the coffee house.

Kamarikutan Entrance
Going inside Kamarikutan
After a while we saw a "nipa hut" ethnic style coffee house, it was an open space place, and the lights were dim. And to complete the creepy aura, there were no guests, we even couldn't see any of their crews. So when we went inside, the place was nice though, tables and chairs were made of bamboo. All you can hear is the sound of the rippling water coming out of the fountains at the side. To our surprise there was a crew at the corner, sitted behind the front desk. We were given menus for our orders, while others decided to look around the gallery. The place was nice, don't get me wrong, but the place just gives me a creepy feeling, and if you're like me who's not a fan of ethnic wooden anito sculptures and weird looking wooden masks, well I must say you must understand the feeling. LOL.

Kamarikutan Coffeehouse
Nipa hut style coffeehouse
Kamarikutan Gallery
The Gallery
For the food, I would say it's good and in affordable price too. I ordered french toast and a latte. The coffee was good. And the concept of their canisters for the condiments completed the ethnic motif. Too bad I wasn't able to find these at the gift shop before our flight home, I was planning to give it to my mom back at home.

kamarikutan coffee
Coffee
Kamarikutan Sugar
Sugar
 All in all our experience here in Kamarikutan is quite exceptional. Creepy, ethnic, but I would say I enjoyed it. I still think though that it would be best to visit here in the daytime. So you can see better of their surroundings, instead of just a pitch dark outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment